Dinah Davidson, Resident Care Coordinator, writes….
Summer is here, so I wanted to remind everyone the importance of drinking water. The high temperatures of summer cause our bodies to sweat more, which means we lose water faster. Losing water too quickly without replacing it can lead to dehydration, which is very dangerous. Remember to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated! Water might be a little bland, but these 10 facts about water aren’t:
- The chemical compound for water H20. It can also be called dihydrogen monoxide.
- Good hydration can prevent arthritis. With plenty of water in your body, there is less friction in your joints, thus less chance of developing arthritis.
- Roughly 70% of an adult’s body is made up of water.
- The earth is a closed system, meaning that it rarely loses or gains extra matter. The same water that existed on the earth at the beginning of time is still present today.
- Nearly 97% of the world’s water is salty or otherwise undrinkable. Another 2% is locked in ice caps in glaciers. That leaves just 1% for all of humanity’s needs.
- Water expands by 9% when it freeze. Frozen water (ice) is lighter than water, which is why ice floats.
- Human bones are 25% water.
- By the time a person feels thirsty, his or her body has last over 1% of its total water amount.
- Hot water freezes faster than cold water. This is known as the Mpemba Effect, and no one knows why it happens.
- Water is sticky. The molecules love to stick to things, especially each ohter. It’s what give it such a larger surface tension. It keeps you alive: it means water can pull blood up narrow vessels in the body, often against the force of gravity.
Good Samaritan Home of Quincy
June 23, 2022 Good Samaritan Home was notified that one resident and one employee tested positive for COVID-19. We stand by our commitment to the health and safety of our residents and staff. We continue to take precautions, which includes: Continued screening of all staff members and other essential persons entering our facility for symptoms…
June 22, 2022 From 6/15-6/21/22 Good Samaritan Home was notified that three employees tested positive for COVID-19. For more frequent updates on the facility’s current COVID-19 status, please visit our website at https://www.gshq.org/news/. We stand by our commitment to the health and safety of our residents and staff. We continue to take precautions, which includes:…
News & Views from Campus: June 19th – June 25th -DON’T FORGET OUR “65 Days of Giving” campaign, running now until August 8th! Ways To Give Just click on https://givebutter.com/65daysofgiving and follow the simple instructions! Text Give65 to 53555 on your mobile phone! Mail a donation to: Good Samaritan Home C/O Nathan Halfpap 2130 Harrison…