Dinah Davidson, Resident Care Coordinator, writes….
Summer is here, so I wanted to remind everyone the importance of drinking water. The high temperatures of summer cause our bodies to sweat more, which means we lose water faster. Losing water too quickly without replacing it can lead to dehydration, which is very dangerous. Remember to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated! Water might be a little bland, but these 10 facts about water aren’t:
- The chemical compound for water H20. It can also be called dihydrogen monoxide.
- Good hydration can prevent arthritis. With plenty of water in your body, there is less friction in your joints, thus less chance of developing arthritis.
- Roughly 70% of an adult’s body is made up of water.
- The earth is a closed system, meaning that it rarely loses or gains extra matter. The same water that existed on the earth at the beginning of time is still present today.
- Nearly 97% of the world’s water is salty or otherwise undrinkable. Another 2% is locked in ice caps in glaciers. That leaves just 1% for all of humanity’s needs.
- Water expands by 9% when it freeze. Frozen water (ice) is lighter than water, which is why ice floats.
- Human bones are 25% water.
- By the time a person feels thirsty, his or her body has last over 1% of its total water amount.
- Hot water freezes faster than cold water. This is known as the Mpemba Effect, and no one knows why it happens.
- Water is sticky. The molecules love to stick to things, especially each ohter. It’s what give it such a larger surface tension. It keeps you alive: it means water can pull blood up narrow vessels in the body, often against the force of gravity.
Good Samaritan Home of Quincy
News & Views from Campus: June 13th – June 19th This Week In History June 13th, 1884: The very first roller coaster opens at Coney Island in Brooklyn, NY. It costs 5 cents per ride! June 14th, 1971: President Richard Nixon orders a tape recorder system installed in the White House. June 15th, 1775: George…
News & Views from Campus: June 6th – June 12th Meet our New CFO! Name: Mathew Dorian Hometown: Quincy, IL High School: Quincy Notre Dame Previous Job: Director of Accounting at The Chicago History Museum Family: Wife Janelle, and many, many nieces & nephews Thoughts of our home so far: I am very happy…
June 3, 2021 Good Samaritan Home has not had any new COVID-19 positive cases in employees or residents since our last notification letter. At this time, your loved one’s neighborhood has not been quarantined. We stand by our commitment to the health and safety of our residents and staff. We continue to take precautions, which…