Dinah Davidson, Resident Care Coordinator, writes….
Summer is here, so I wanted to remind everyone the importance of drinking water. The high temperatures of summer cause our bodies to sweat more, which means we lose water faster. Losing water too quickly without replacing it can lead to dehydration, which is very dangerous. Remember to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated! Water might be a little bland, but these 10 facts about water aren’t:
- The chemical compound for water H20. It can also be called dihydrogen monoxide.
- Good hydration can prevent arthritis. With plenty of water in your body, there is less friction in your joints, thus less chance of developing arthritis.
- Roughly 70% of an adult’s body is made up of water.
- The earth is a closed system, meaning that it rarely loses or gains extra matter. The same water that existed on the earth at the beginning of time is still present today.
- Nearly 97% of the world’s water is salty or otherwise undrinkable. Another 2% is locked in ice caps in glaciers. That leaves just 1% for all of humanity’s needs.
- Water expands by 9% when it freeze. Frozen water (ice) is lighter than water, which is why ice floats.
- Human bones are 25% water.
- By the time a person feels thirsty, his or her body has last over 1% of its total water amount.
- Hot water freezes faster than cold water. This is known as the Mpemba Effect, and no one knows why it happens.
- Water is sticky. The molecules love to stick to things, especially each ohter. It’s what give it such a larger surface tension. It keeps you alive: it means water can pull blood up narrow vessels in the body, often against the force of gravity.
Good Samaritan Home of Quincy
January 25, 2023 Good Samaritan Home was notified that one employee tested positive for COVID-19. We stand by our commitment to the health and safety of our residents and staff. We continue to take precautions, which includes: For any questions or concerns, please contact your loved one’s designated social service aide. Thank you for your…
News & Views from Campus: January 22nd – January 28th Fireside Sports Bar & Grill Lunch Outing On Thursday the 26th at 1030am, we will head to the Fireside Grill inside the Mark Twain Casino in La Grange, Missouri for an extended lunch outing. Remember, you must call activities at extension 4227 by Wednesday the…
News & Views from Campus: January 15th – January 21st Wal Mart Shopping Time! Wal Mart shopping returns on Wednesday, January 18th at 8:30am. Remember, you must call Sally Hodgson at extension 4227 if you plan on attending. After you have booked your spot with Sally, you will meet that Wednesday morning at the…